To make your balls, you'll want:
1.5 lbs (or so) cod
1 lb potatos (something mashable - I used russet)
1 Onion, finely chopped
3 eggs, beaten
2 - 3 cloves, freshly chopped garlic
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 cup Matzah Meal or Bread Crumbs
To prepare your fish ball batter:
1. First, prepare you'll want to get your onions sautéing in olive oil, over medium-low heat, until brown. Remove from heat if they're done early.
2. Start boiling water. in large saucepan.
3. Quarter potatoes and add to boiling water.
4. Cut fish into 1" slices, and after 10 minutes, add to boiling potatoes.
5. After 5 - 7 more minutes, the potatoes should be fork-tender. Remove, and drain water.
6. Coarsely mash potatoes and fish together.
7. Add garlic, onions, rosemary, 1 tbsp salt, and pepper (and other spices) to taste.
8. Once the mixture is cool enough, add beaten eggs, and mix until absorbed.
9. Add about 2" Olive Oil to a small saucepan, and heat over medium-high.
10. Roll the batter into 1" balls, and add to oil.
11. Fry until golden brown (3 - 4 minutes or so).
12. Drain your balls on paper towel, and serve hot!
|Boiled Potatoes, Fish and Onions|
|Hot and Tasty Fish Balls!|