Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Almost Fish Tacos

So, while I feel like my first non-intro post should be about something either ball or pie related, the things that finally got me off my ass to get something on the web were the fish tacos I attempted to make yesterday. As it turned out, my surprisingly tasty whole wheat flax seed tortillas were moldy, but I was very pleased with the fish.

I used (and generally, unless I've really got myself together, I use whatever I've got around the house):

Mahi Mahi
Flour
Corn Meal
Black Pepper
Cajun Seasoning (Joe's stuff)
Cayenne Pepper
Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Kosher salt
Salt
Hot Sauce (Cholula Chili garlic, in this case)
Paprika
Chipotle Chili Powder

Also, I made tomato/onion based salsa, and some brown rice, which were fine, but nothing special, and probably easily replaced with your favorite fish taco toppings.

I cut the mahi into 7 strips - about 1/2" - 3/4" thick, and 3" long or so. 

For a fast marinade, I mixed about 1/3 of a cup of olive oil, with a couple tbsp lemon juice, and a tsp of hot sauce, then spiced with some liberally with chipotle chili powder, black pepper, pinch of kosher salt and just a bit of cajun seasoning. 

You may have figured out by now that I'm not real big on precise measurements.

After blending thoroughly with a fork, I tossed the mahi strips in the marinade (just enough to cover the mahi strips with a nice layer), and let sit at room temperature for about 25 min.

Then, I made a  light dusting for the fish - 2 parts flour to 1 part cornmeal (just under a cup, total), with a couple tsps each cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika and a pinch of salt. Each fish strip was taken from the marinade and rolled them through once to coat lightly

Lastly, I sauteed on both sides for about 3 minutes total (golden brown all around).

The results were surprisingly tasty - nice textured crust which complemented the spicy, slightly tart flavors underneath, and the firm, mild mahi that held up nicely. I got just a little hint of a saucy layer between the fish and crust, which was a nice surprise. Next time I try this, I might think about using a  little lighter fish like cod, and probably smaller pieces - to be a little more taco friendly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment